Is this a good idea to get biofuel from waste?
Biofuel is very useful form of energy and we can generate it from garbage that is taking a lot of space now. Few decades ago, developed countries were dumping their garbage on land of under developed countries in exchange of financial benefits, but it did not give solution to any problem. It just increases risk of diseases and pollution. It left devastating impact on ecosystems and cultures throughout the world. As a solution to this problem, idea of using garbage for production of biofuel was thought. A report published by Global Change Biology mentioned that biofuel gathered from processed garbage can easily replace world’s requirement of gasoline. This solution will help in controlling the prices of gasoline as well as protect the environment from emission of harmful gases. Great efforts are being made in this field to get biofuel from waste but a major problem faced here is shortage of food. Today farmers are using advance techniques to increase level of production but still they cannot raise it to the level where after fulfilling human needs, there is huge amount to waste. Fortunately or unfortunately garbage is abundantly available and second generation of biofuel is being obtained from this waste today. This is not efficient solution to energy problems but still it can help us in covering a little portion.
Carbon Dioxide Emission:
A technology famously known as thermal waste to energy technology is used to get energy from waste. According to experts, all of the carbon content in the waste is emitted as carbon dioxide (CO2) to the atmosphere when it is processed under this technology. Municipal solid waste contains about 27% of carbon that it emits while its conversion into energy. Besides this 1 metric ton of MSW would produce approximately 62 cubic meters methane that is increasing the global warming. Nearly all biodegradable waste is biomass which directed us towards the point that it has been formed by plants using atmospheric CO2.
Ways of converting waste to energy:
- Anaerobic digestion: Burning the waste and converting it into heat energy is the oldest way used, but it is not the best way as it damages air quality. To overcome this problem Anaerobic digestion is used in which garbage is converted by making our bacteria friends do the dirty work for us into fuel.
- Gasification: Under this process trash is zapped and vaporized at 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit in converter to get synthetic gas that powers a turbine and creates steam to produce electricity.
- Thermal Hydrolysis: under this process garbage is boiled to generate a biogas, which is used to produce electricity.
- Fermentation: This is one of the oldest technologies humans are using on this earth. Under this technology fermentation of biomass waste is done o create Ethanol is the same process by which we make wine.
- Pyrolysis: This is an extended kind of thermal technology under which trash is heated up in an oxygen-depleted environment to decompose waste and produce a gas that can be used as fuel.