How does hydrogen power work:
Hydrogen is efficient fuel to use to generate electricity. It is available in great amount and does not put negative effects like emission of harmful gases or greenhouse effect. This non-toxic gas is easy to produce from many renewable energy sources. Many studies have proved that hydrogen energy is the only alternative fuel that can reduce this world’s dependence on oil with reduced greenhouse effect. In this way use of this renewable energy is playing an important role in reducing future climate impacts and energy supply concerns. Today many buildings are powered by hydrogen energy systems, and these buildings use this energy directly when available in surplus. A building that works with power generated by hydrogen energy combines a 750kW wind turbine, 30kw electrolyser, 10kW hydrogen fuel fell and a geothermal source heat pump. New addition to this infrastructure is charging point that carries generated current from one point to another.
There are many organic compounds that are rich in hydrogen, prominently hydrocarbons that is major source for many other flues like gasoline, natural gas, methanol, and propane. Under process of reforming hydrogen can be separated from hydrocarbons that are used to generate electric current.
New way of storing hydrogen:
A team of scientists at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab), Department of Energy (DOE), US have discovered material known as air-stable magnesium nano-composites. This material helps in storage of hydrogen with nano-particles of magnesium metal sprinkled through a matrix of Polymethyl Methacrylate. Material used with nano-composites is capable of absorbing and releasing hydrogen at an ordinary temperature without oxidizing the metal. Same material is now part of hydrogen storage, hydrogen batteries and hydrogen fuel cells.
Advantages of Hydrogen Renewable Energy:
- Biggest advantage of using hydrogen energy for electricity generation is it pollution free nature. This renewable source of energy reduces pollution when used as fuel of fuel cell with electric vehicles. Its usage does not leaves carbon footprint nor increases greenhouse effect.
- Using hydrogen as fuel is another advantage associated with this renewable source. When hydrogen is used as fuel, it gives more sufficient results as compared to other fuels like gasoline or diesel. Using hydrogen is very cheap as well as compared to all other sources.
- Use of hydrogen energy for security purposes is another benefit. It protects one country in situation of war in form of hydrogen bomb.
- Maintenance of this energy source is very easy, as we never have to do a lot for its protection.
Disadvantages of Hydrogen Renewable Energy:
- Hydrogen power needs large budget. Cost factor effects efficiency of this source the most.
- Hydrogen is found in many organic materials, but to get it for use from these materials process of water electrolysis is must. This process is also increasing cost of this energy.
- Production, transportation, distribution and storage of hydrogen is difficult.
- Fuel cells used with hydrogen power are large in size as compared to engines or batteries used with other renewable energy sources.
- How steam power works?